Sunday, September 18, 2011

What I've Learned...

I have already learned SO much from this course.  We have covered three main topics already: Sociological Mindfulness, Social Imagination, and the Social Construction of Reality.  By learning about these three things and by thinking like a sociologist I've been looking at things quite differently.  Sociological mindfulness is the practice of tuning-in on how the social world works.  While being sociologically mindful, I noticed that people easily feel awkward and unconformable. When someone or something is out of place, we as Americans try to avoid it, so we do not feel even more uncomfortable.  Sociological imagination is all about realizing the cultural meaning of the social sciences.  This weekend I was at my cousin's wedding, and a family member had brought our family tree that she has been working hard on for a long time.  In this HUGE binder, she had all the information on our family going way way back to my great, great grandparents.  She had pictures of everyone, and all this interesting information.  I got to see what my great grandparents looked like.  And to see how they dressed and what they did for fun.  In my grandmother's childhood, it was "cool" to have big hair and glasses, then my mother's age to wear high wasted pants, and then I get to see my generation like skinny jeans.  All of us were aware of our surroundings which made us, us.  I was able to draw these conclusions because I was using my Sociological imagination. The social construction of reality is how we interact with each other and look at each other's actions.  It's how we draw conclusions to things about other people. 

3 comments:

  1. need an example for your mindfulness definition and to come in and get help with the social construction of reality

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the wedding I attended this past weekend I was not only using my social imagination, but also being socially mindful. While at my table for dinner, I was with my parents, cousins, the pastor, and a bride maids mom and husband. I was the youngest at the table, so my opinions did not really matter in the conversation. I was more of a by-stander because the people who did not know me did not care what I thought on their topic of discussion. While being mindful, I noticed when they would talk to each other they would not really include me into their conversation. The Social Construction of reality causes us to think a certain way of someone based on a certain generalization such as race and gender. When I was at camp this summer, I would play basketball whenever I could in my free time. Every session there is a staff basketball game and it gets pretty intense. I asked some of my guy friends if I could join in. One of them said, "No offense hay but you're a girl, and girls can not ball." Those were his exact words. Yeah, people always joke around about girls not as good as boys at basketball or any sport simply because we are girls. The idea of social construction of reality caused him to think this crazy thought. I ended up playing with the guys one night, and proved to them that girls can indeed "ball"

    ReplyDelete